Internationally, World Smokefree Day is known as World No Tobacco Day, and is celebrated annually on 31 May.
World Smokefree Day is celebrated and delivered at a local level through the theme being applied to current initiatives and priorities. Regional teams provide a collaborative approach and touchpoints for anyone wanting to get involved.
The objectives of World Smokefree Day in New Zealand are:
- Raising awareness and contributing to the achievement of the Smokefree 2025 goal.
- Enabling better collaboration, planning and coordination of work within regions and across the country.
- Raising awareness of the smokefree kaupapa with the underlying objectives of reducing exposure to second-hand smoke and increasing quit attempts.
- Enabling continuity and consistency of messaging and creative within regions and across the country.
- Building on and complementing current work in tobacco control.